We’re back with another Sci [and/or] Fi. In Episode 5, we’re talking about ancient Californian plastic water bottles, and not the kind archaeologists will be digging up in the ruins of ancient Burbank 2000 years in the future. These bottles were made from reeds and bitumen by the Chumash people thousands of years ago. Researchers are curious if these bottles might have contributed to the short life spans and declining health of the Chumash, and we take a look at what they’ve found.
We also talk about the news from the set of Star Trek Discovery. The show’s creators say they’re breaking from Gene Roddenberry’s rule that main characters don’t have interpersonal conflicts. Will this affect the universe’s egalitarian optimism? We have no idea, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t going to talk about it! Enjoy!
Episode 5 Show Notes
- Star Trek: Discovery Will Change A Key Roddenberry Mandate (via Nerdist)
- Plastic Water Bottles Might Have Poisoned Ancient Californians (via Wired Science)
- Here’s the article from Environmental Health referenced in the Wired story.
- Follow the Star Wars Crawl Twitter Bot (@starways_crawl)
- Download Episode 5 on iTunes and Google Play.
- Listen to previous episodes of the podcast here.